Friday, January 30, 2015

Dispatches from a Desert Isle: Snakes

Understudies for Nagini

The island features many a reptile. So many, in fact, that I include only the snakes here.

Some look rather sweet and winsome:
Who's there?
Hello, sweetie!


Now you see her...






...now you don't.
But 'round these parts you also get an awful lot of rattlers...
Who, me?
Yeah, you. Don't shake that thing at me! 



Hey there, pretty people!

I'm just one little rattler, minding my own business

Doot, doot, dooo....



...with my big sister!!!
RAAAAAWR!
(I mean rattle.....)

And eventually you realize you haven't really seen side-eye...
Hey.


Back off, people.
Don't make me bite you...



I mean it. Get outta my face!!!


...until you've seen snake side-eye.




The snakes on the Isle are so big, I didn't recognize this one until it was too late!

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOO......

We're being eaten!!!!!




It claims to be a "bicycle/pedestrian overpass" but I say "Pshaw" to that.


I'm sticking to my story.
It totally ate me.


Apparently, rattling is all the rage in the desert. Some snakes really rattle (this is a Western Diamondback), but others, like the Sonoran Gopher Snake make fake rattling sounds, and even our old friend the Burrowing Owl makes a fake rattle-chirp.

What are we going to do about all these snakes? Make more, of course!
Cue: bonus snake origami tutorial (it really bites)!



No comments:

Post a Comment