Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Dispatches from a Desert Isle: Bats (with Bonus Science Hairstyle Tutorial)

Bats! Bats! Bats!

The Sonoran Desert is known for its bats (see a full list of types here), and upon my venture into a certain cave on the isle I discovered much to interest me and, I hope, you.

Here is the cavern entrance:

Inside this mighty partition I found myself in another land altogether. First, the cave itself...

 


Most majestic indeed! And delightful in motion:







Inhabiting this place, or some others like it, are the bats of the region, pictured here:

These magical creatures have existed for 50 MILLION YEARS!!!! (Holy longevity, Batman!)
I may have spotted a few of the strange beings in that cave, but my poor human-vision does not let me know for sure. Here is what my photographic equipment captured...


Check out this great bat video (with bonus mention of a tarantula's butt)

I highly recommend you subscribe to this incredibly excellent and entertaining YouTube channel (use my email address: erinmerritt1@gmail.com, and I'll let you know when something new is posted), or you can just book mark this page and check it whenever you want. There are tons of great things there. 

In fact, here are two more bat videos from Brain Scoop!!!





Bats are the Best!!!
And Baby Bats are even more Best:
Here's one just learning to eat solid food (a banana)—check out his tongue!

and here are some Baby-Bat Burritos:

(Go ahead, try not to squeal.)


But wait, there's more! Now that you love Emily Graslie as much as I do, you can learn to do your hair like hers, in this very funny tutorial:

No comments:

Post a Comment