Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Dispatches from a Desert Isle: Other Desert Birds


A Fillion Hummingbirds, 
the Quail, and 
One Slightly-Annoyed Kestrel

The kestrel may be North America's smallest falcon, and a mighty one at that, 
but that doesn't make it any less peevish.

If I don't look, maybe they'll go away.
What are you lookin' at?!?
           
Of course, it might just be the fact of being in a cage (birds really should not be in cages), 
but I have to think that just being a falcon makes one a little peevish. 

Or maybe he just wasn't getting to eat what he wanted:
        Much like one young boy we know, baby kestrels don't care how big their food is. 
Unlike humans, though, their mouths are specifically designed so 



More cheerful, or at least their fights sound more charming, are the tiny hummingbirds
It's hard to get good pictures of them though.
blurry


less blurry but badly framed
Okay, no choice but to try to see them in action...
I can hear them, but maybe not see them.

Wait, one actually almost held still for a moment here!

Oh I give up!


What I was really hoping to see were quail—I love quail! 
Alas, no luck for me, but the interwebs can oblige us...

They are so danged cute!! 

Er... I mean... Majestic! That's it—majestic!
(hee hee hee, quail-head!)

One fine-looking Qouple.

They all remind me of my high school boyfriend Marcus, whom we called Old Quail-Head because he had one little bang just like a quail head-feather. I'll have to find a way to scan a picture so you can see what I mean, but for now, this guy below will have to do.

Qontemplative Quail misses Old Quail-Head


Here's what they say:
(Thank you Wildertography!)

And here are some babies. Their mama is less than a foot long, so they must be 2" tops. Hee hee hee!

Here's where they live


Here's one on his or her mama's back!
(That looks like another child I know)
An independent fellow...

"I have a feather... coming!"







and one little honey showing off its head-tuft. 

Let's call him Peter Quince.









Awwwwww.... quailies! hummies! kestries! No, that last one doesn't work. Kestrels will eat these other guys if they can. Hmmmm.... maybe that cage isn't so bad after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment